Saturday, October 8, 2011

Walking, walking, walking.....and a bit more walking!

I left where I am staying bright and early (8.00am!) as I wanted to find a post office to send a few things home...basically a whole heap of collected pamphlets, brochures I have collected on my museum travels....then I headed Towards Buckingham Palace as I thought I would check out the Changing of the guards....of course what I did NOT realize,was just how big an occasion this is! I was there quite early, so had a wander around, then went and checked out the queens gallery shop...didn't go into the gallery itself...then went and had a cup of tea....my first in the whole time I have been away! Then I made my way to the palace....well, in the space of 45 minutes, it had gone from having a few tourists wandering around, to full on masses, as in lining the streets... You couldn't even get a look into the grounds....the whole thing went for just over an hour....bu t I am glad I at least heard it. I did manage to see some of the guards walking down the street playing and marching as they went....from here I decided to check out Westminster Abbey...what beautiful church....and really interesting who is buried there....
From here I headed towards Liberty of London....it was MUCH further than I had anticipated...I seemed to have 3 different addresses for it and eventually found it....saw all of their beautiful lawn fabrics....had lots of other interesting things too.

So I have now found an cafe which has free wifi...mind you, I do feel obliged to buy a drink, but it is quite a pleasant setting...so thought I would update my blog....tomorrow I plan to get to the Victoria and Albert Museum...the whole reason I wanted to come to London...I just hope I am not disappointed. Then on Monday morning I am off to Brugge...the time seems to be flying now, but I am looking forward to coming home too!
Will tray nd update again after tomorrow. cheers.

Ps....apologies for any typos....I am writing this quickly and have decided just to post it without spell check!

1 comment:

  1. If you're gonna have a cup of tea, London seems to be the most appropriate place. Worth the wait I would say. :)

    ReplyDelete