Monday, October 10, 2011

Goodbye London and Hello Brugge

Well, I said farewell to London Town this morning...and after some delay with the "Chunnel" I finally made it into Brugge this afternoon.
But to give you some final updates on my last afternoon in Lomdon (where I am staying in Brugge has WiFi...!). So yesterday after I went to the V&A, I headed back to Harrods to make a couple of extra purchases for Kate and Tom....and then I headed towards the food hall...the toy department and food halls were the only parts of Harrods I actually went to! I could not believe how busy it was though....and as I went up the escalators to the toy dept, there was singing getting louder and louder...they had a woman singing opera on one of the balconies which overlooks the escalators...mind you, these are NOT escalators like we have in Oz...these were the Egyptian escalators...all themed in Egyptian...Molly Meldrum would love it! Talk about O.T.T! The other thing about Harrods, is the customer service...shop assistants in Oz could learn a thing or two from these guys...they all apologized for keeping customers waiting, they asked if there were any other areas of the store I would like to be directed to...I even got a free taste of a "Godiva" truffle as the young guy asked me what sort of chocolates l liked! Ha! I told him I liked any! Anyway, I got chatting to his supervisor who was delightful...this was the case throughout the store!
I didn't end up buying anything for dinner here....instead I decided to go for a walk near the apartment and found a nice little pub...so I ended up having the most delicious roast pork...with it came cauliflower, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, beans, Yorkshire pudding, a great stuffing and apple sauce.....it was so HOT! and cost the grand sume of £7.95! There weren't many seats, so a young chap moved for me, and then he was going to leave me sitting at a table for 4 but I told him he was welcome to stay...he was delightful...we had a lovely chat...I must admit, I have had lovely meals in London...
So, back to Brugge...the B & B where I am staying is lovely, though I still haven't met the owners...they were kind enough to give me the code to the door and gave me directions for my room. I will meet them in the morning at breakfast.
So when I arrived, I basically went for a wander around the town...it is very pretty...already I have taken quite a lot of photos....not sure what I will get up to tomorrow....will see what they suggest at breakfast....one I have started doing is taking photos of all of the chocolate shops I pass....I am not kidding when I say that I have NEVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE seen so much chocolate...and whilst it is tempting to taste a chocolate at each shop....this would be BAD BAD BAD...so instead I will take a photo of them...the other type of shop in abundance here is the lace shop....the other thing I have notice is that Christmas decorations have started making an appearance in the shops...has this started in Australia too? Scary thought that it will only be 2 months until Christmas when I get home! Sorry to mention that to you all!
Well, I am a bit tired so think I might head off to bed...it is only 8.30pm Euro time and if I were still in London it would only be 7.30pm....what is with me?
Anyway, goodnight all and see you tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. Weird weird weird- just thinking that as you tavelto Brugge and I to Mumbai we are getting closer to the same timezones! India is 5.5 hours behind Australia-I think we are only 3.5 hrs different and as I sit in Singapore now- it is 6.00 am sing time but 9.00 in Melbourne. Ugh HH I am going to be so tired by 6.00 pm Mumbai time tonight!
    How has TH weather been lately- you avert commented on rain or extreme heat - soi assume perfect for your travels? Off to have a wake me up coffee - not sure I can stomach a Singapore breakfast of fish congee- but may e a pork bun?
    Love to you.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to see all you are enjoying, and with a bit of envy as we have returned home! We have always loved eating in England and particularly pubs where you can get some great meals. Looks like you did as well. Cheers. Bill

    ReplyDelete