Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Been there, seen that, bought stuff!

Well, yet another busy day here in Paris....I decided not to go to Versailles....there were still a couple of museums/galleries I was keen to see here in Paris...I can always visit Versailles and Giverny (Monet's Garden) next time!!!
I did however have a fairly lazy morning as I did not venture out of the apartment until after 10am.  I had a nice chat with my parents which was good (hi Mum and Dad!!)
First up, I headed to the Museums' of Decorative Arts and Fashion & Textiles...Once again both these had plenty of eye candy to look at, though the Fashion Museum had a lot of stuff which in my eyes was a bit bizarre!  I also wonder whether I didn't actually see the whole gallery...anyway, there was plenty to grab my attention in the other...lots of furniture, ceramics, jewellery to inspire and stare at open mouthed....talk about opulence.
After this, I headed to the Musee Rodin...this was a very pleasant change as many of the scupltures were displayed outside in the gardens....made a nice change from traipsing (sp?) around indoors...The most well known sculture of this artist is "The Thinker", which was also set outdoors...I was able to get some really interesting photos of this.
I then headed to a shop recommended by one of my patchwork friends....Le Bonheur des Dames...this shop stocks the most amazing range of cross stitch and embroideries, many designed by the shop itself some patchwork fabrics and beautiful linens on which to stitch....it was especially lovely to see the shop assistants working on their various projects when not assisting customers....I took loads and loads of photos here...they were very gracious to allow me to do that...and have to admit, that I made a nice donation to the French economy whilst here!!!! I have possibly bitten off more than I can chew with my purchase...but when you see it you will understand!!!
Now as if I hadn't done enough by this time, I then headed back towards the other side of the city to the Montparnasse Tower for a ride to the 56th Floor and a view over the whole of Paris....you could then walk up another 3 flights of stairs to the 59th floor where you could stand on the roof top....was a fabulous view....and particularly fun to see the Eiffel Tower from a different perspective.  Tomorrow I am back at the Eiffel Tower for my trip up the tower....though I am only going to the 2nd floor....but I am thinking that I might stick around till dark just so that I can see its lights twinkling again...they were so beautiful last time!
Tomorrow is my last day in Paris...these past 5 days have gone so fast...and I am very thankful that I did venture out after my arrival day disaster of getting lost....I am loving the Metro Train System here....I have not had to wait any longer that 5 minutes for any train...it is so efficient...especially when I think of the Lilydale and Belgrave Lines back home and how there are trains only every 1/2 hour off peak....anyway, you will probably hear me praising the Metro a lot more once I return home!!!
Tomorrow I might try and visit Sacre Coeur and MontMarte....I don't want to overdo it tomorrow.
Till then, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment