Saturday, October 15, 2011

Frankfurt at last!

Late yesterday afternoon (Friday), I arrived in Frankfurt to spend the final week of my holiday with family....the plane was annoyingly delayed...and then my baggage took ages to appear....but finally I was on my way to exit...I walked through the gates casting my eyes for a familiar face.....and soon saw Alberto...whew...what a relief....but little did I know that Rita, my cousin and Lydia her sister and 2 others Manuela and Corinna would also be there to greet me....with a huge "Welcome Lisa" banner and a bittle of bubbles!!!!  Dinner had been booked, and our way to the restaurant, I was informed that there was to be about 40 people at dinner...Yikes...all to meet Aussie cousin Lisa.....well, it was so wonderful to meet 13 cousins of, whom I have only met 2 in the past!!!!  So fantastic to put faces to names I have heard over the years....and to put peple into context...we has a terrific night...to say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement....I so appreciate the warm welcomel I have been given...today Rita Alberto, Lydia (cousin) and her husband Benno have been into the city of Frankfurt and had a lovely wander around the main city where we walked across the River Main, to the local market, one of the main squares and also met a second cousin Tim and his partner Gina...we had fun chatting....the German English language is not necessarily easy, but I think we are managing....doesn't help that I left my English- German phrasebook in Melbourne!!!!
One of the highlights???? Not having to try and orientate myself and get myself from A to B...it has been lovely to be driven around...of course that is another experience completely!!!  Driving into Frankfurt was an experience in itself....driving on the Autobahn...where there are NO speedlimits....at one point Alberto announced to me that we were travelling at a speed of 200kmph.....yes people...you have read correctly....and Craig and /or Kieran....please don't give Mum a copy of this blog post until near the end of the week!!!!!  Thanks!!!
The family seem to have all sorts of things planned for my week, of which I am in the dark about most....but it sounds like I will be kept busy....Tomorrow I think we will be looking around the area where my Dad grew up, where my German Oma and Opa are buried, and may meet the widow of one of Dad's brothers who sadly has dementia and is living in a Nursing Home...but she did remember dad when she was told I was coming...so that should be a lovely thing to do.
Well, I shall finish off here...I think we are going for dinner locally in a little while....
Will try and update again, but not sure when....

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, warm, beautiful welcome. This will make a fabulous end to your special holiday. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a blessing- it was definitely the right thing to go to Germany!
    Enjoy. PS did they love the quilt?

    ReplyDelete