Monday, October 17, 2011

Busy around Germany

The past two days have been busy seeing the sights around Frankfurt.  On Saturday evening we had a dinner at a traditional German Restaurant...the food was really lovely, although quite unblike anything I have eaten before...I was recommended to have this cheese dish which had hand made cheese, a more runny sort fo cheese, raw onions and butter and bread....I couldn't eat much as it wasn't unpleasant, it is more that it was way too much for one person...so the men at the table finished it off for me.  I then had the chicken which was also recommended...it was incredible....incredibly BAD for me....KFC...eat your heart...and arteries out....a whole half a chicken deep fried with amazing seasoning....with salad---then the owner of the place, when he found out I was from Australia, provided us all with kartoffle (potato)schnapps...or should I say fire water or as I decided to call it, Deutsch Vodka!!!  So so horrible.
Sunday we drove to a lovely town by the name of Gelnhausen...simply delightful with really old buildings, churches, streets.  We then went to a real castle....really well preserved and the amazing things about many of these places is that they don't charge entry fees....we then went to the most central point in Europe....basically in the middle of nowhere!  but really interesting nonetheless.
For dinner Sunday night we went to a famous schnitzel place which made the guiness book of records for making the longest schnitzel...the schnitzel was pretty good.
Today I was taken to a town on the Rhine River...Mainz...yet another beautiful town...from here we went to a town whcih I can't now recall the name...so I think I will end here and finish this off tomorrow....Tomorrow we are off to Heidelberg...
Back again....sorry I left abruptly last night...had just discovered that I was somehow able to use Wi Fi where I am staying...someone in the neighbourhood has not realised they should password protect their WiFi so that people like me can't use it!
Anyway, the other town we visited on Monday was called Ingelheim...my cousin Burkhards wife's family owned a 400+ year old house where her father was a professor in wine making. They are currently in the process of renovating this home...it has so much history and had a barn,so many old tools and wine making things....it was just amazing to see.
We then headed back to where I am staying for some supper and to meet the son and wife of another cousin...we had a lovely time as they both spoke excellent English and were just really nice people... I chatted on for hours.
Well, that was about all...I am hoping that this bonus Wi Fi Internet connection continues to work as I don't like to keep asking if I can check my emails...this way means that I can sit at any hour and play with my iPad!

Will fill you in on my day in Heidelberg later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Sounds like you are having a real adventure! I'm really enjoying reading about your travels, your German dinner sounds very interesting! Are you one of those people who takes pictures of your food while on holidays, so you can remember it all? Love the free wifi!
    Take care,
    Rachel xo

    ReplyDelete