Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Venice

Well, I was up bright and early this morning having decided that I should go see Michelangelo's David...so off I headed toasted the Academia Gallery...was there shortly after 8am and already a queue had formed....anyway...I stood in line with a couple from Adelaide so that helped kill the time until 9.20 when we finally got in....I must admit, my visit was probably the fastest ever...but I am glad I did go as the statue is just incredible...I had to catch my train at 11.30am and had also wanted to check a couple of other shops near my apartment. So I went to this little paper shop which I had passed several times and they had some beautiful florentine paper for 20cents....and I bought some blue and white papers...surprise surprise. I made it to the station with plenty of time to spare and got my seat on the train....I had decided to go 1st class and am very glad I did...it was very comfy...those of you who read Facebook have already heard this bit....I am glad I claimed my seat quickly as there were some others who said they had my seat....anyway, I was there first and had my ticket so I stayed put.
Arriving at Venice was such a pleasant surprise....it was lovely to smell the sea air....I have spent the afternoon settling into the convent where I am staying and getting lost around the alleyways....I am staying really close to St Marks and had a very quick visit there this afternoon....the floor is absolutely stunning!!!!!! I wish we could take photos...I think I might go back and take my sketch book with me as I can see a quilt from it....the rest of the church was beautiful too, but it was the floor which got my attention. As I am writing this, there are church bells ringing not very far from the convent....the sun is starting to set and it is altogether a very pleasant place to be....I am loving the fresh breeze which I have been missing since arriving in Italy nearly 2 weeks ago....I can't believe that my time in italy is nearly over....I think in hindsight, an extra day in Florence might have been good...oh well, I will just have to come back again won't I?
Well, I might head out to find somewhere to eat....I have decided that the closer I get to Paris, the more expensive things are....I found Rome and Orvieto to be very reasonably priced and even Florence, but have noticed the prices here in Venice a bit more exxy....perhaps if I steer clear of the major areas...even the pashmina I bought in Florence for the grand sum of 5 euros, i have seen here for 13euros! So glad I saw it in Florence first! The other thing I have noticed, is that there seems to be a great many more French people here than I have encountered elsewhere....need to start learning a few basic French phrases.
Well, will chat again soon....I am looking forward to Paris where I think I might be able to put some photos up....
Till next time, ciao, Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Hi L
    Wonderful adventures! Just so you know we have a great book with many of the floor patterns and mosaics from San Marco, so feel free to reference for future quilts.
    I have ben a bit slack in responding lately, as I have been in Dingapr and am just returning now- 2 nights out of three in a plane - I am feeling a bit ragged!
    Singapore as changed so much since I was last here- 10 years. It is such a clean, ordered and sFe city with some pretty out there Architecture.

    Was great to step out. Of the airport and smell spring in the air- though as I am sure you will notice, Melbourne feels so open and young after other cities.
    Love to you. T

    ReplyDelete