Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bye bye beautiful Venice!

Well, I have said farewell to the beautiful lagoons of Venice....I am quite sad to leave this beautiful place....I would have liked at least another 2-3 days here as I feel I did not really get to see much of it....today I headed back to St Marks and decided to pay to visit the balcony area....well, I have to say, it was well worth it! The view was stunning and you got to see some of the mosaics of the ceiling up close and personal....all I can say is a big WOW WOW WOW! I can't begin to imagine how many tiny pieces of glass and ceramics were used to create these ceilings...talk about God given talent and creativity. There was also a museum area set up which had smaller articles of mosaics and marble sculpture. I also managed to sneak a few photos...strictly forbidden....but I was careful not to use a flash! Slap my wrist. I also snuck a few photos of the floor on my way out....I am totally enthralled by the floor! After this I went up some bell tower...I am embarrassed to admit that I have absolutely no idea of the name of it....all I know is that it offered 360 degree views above and beyond the city and had 4 huge bells which ring on the hour and that if you are up there, to cover your ears...I then headed to St Marks square and had a bite to eat...from this I caught a water bus to have a look at the Venice Biennale exhibits....hmmmmmmm some interesting stuff, some a bit way out for my tastes and some I felt a little too self-indulgent by the artists...it was a shame I didn't get there earlier as there was just so much to see... I then went back to the convent to collect my suitcase and headed off the island to the hotel where I am staying tonight so that I can get to the airport early tomorrow for my flight to Paris! Woo hoo. The hotel I am staying in is very very nice indeed....2 minutes from the airport with free airport shuttle bus...has the biggest shower head i have ever seen...what a waste of water...but I did indulge...actually,it is very well setup for someone with a disability...has the regular shower rose and also a hand held one, and the toilet also has a handheld shower to clean all your personal bits,as well as the stock standard Italian Bidet...I have been here 2 weeks and haven't been able to bring myself to use one! Dare I try it? Sorry about all that trivial info...it is the OT in me! In fact, it has been very interesting seeing people using wheelchairs, accorded, visually impaired and others with physical impairments getting around Venice. I found it difficult enough going up and down steps with a suitcase....mind you, the attendants on the water buses were very caring and helpful to these people.
Wel, I will stop boring you...stay tuned for my next post from Paris...now I need to stop saying buongiorno and start practicing bonjour...yikes...I just hope the French are as patient with this language illiterate as the Italians have been...till tomorrow...ciao, buonasera and arriverderci etc etc etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment