Saturday, September 24, 2011

Florence...again!

It is amazing the things you come across when you least expect them. This afternoon I decided to walk into the main area of Florence just to get my bearings...and I managed not to get lost...this city is much easier to get around than Rome. As I was walking down one street, I could hear in the distance some drums and trumpets....the police were walking ahead clearing the street and as they did, a procession of people dressed in medieval looking costumes were walking...it was obviously some sort of celebration or occasion...anyway, a bit further along and driving down the road is a man with two huge white oxen with a huge trailer with bottles of chianti piled high...a bit further along a chap on a tractor also had masses of bottles of chianti, but with him, people were buying the bottles....so all I can assume was that it was some harvest celebration of the first batch of wine for the season...who knows!
Anyway,a bit later there were all these horse drawn carriages and in the front was a bride and her groom, behind them some of the guests. As they drove throughout town, the people on the street clapped....
Now to the silliest thing I have done this trip so far....upon the recommendation of a friend from work regarding the best gelato, I decided to locate the said shop and the queue was unbelievable...however in the interests of taste testing, I too got in line...it was very nice, although not sure i haven't had just as good....perhaps I need to try s different flavour tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa, what a wonderful time you're having. Just hearing what you're eating is making my mouth water.
    Lots of love

    ReplyDelete