Monday, September 26, 2011

More of Florence!

Yesterday I spent a lovely day quite different to some of my others.
I was up bright and early for my 8.15ambooking for the Ufizzi gallery...what amazing art work...quite overwhelming really! Standing in the short queue to collect my entry ticket, I got chatting to a lady from Melbourne. We wandered around the gallery for a little while till we went our separate ways. I have decided that I am enjoying the moments which are a bit more unplanned...I can't say that I was overly impressed with the Ufizzi. Perhaps I have too high expectations. Anyway, after this I went and had a late breakfast/ brunch of fruit salad and croissant, and spent a lovely hour or so just people watching. There was a huge fun run in the city yesterday and there were masses of people in green t-shirts passing by.
After this, I headed back to the apartment for a bit of a rest before heading to the Boboli Gardens. It was another warm day so was good to chill out a bit before another big walk....though the apartment I am staying in is in the best location to everything! I walked to the Pitti Palace where the gardens are located. This weekend had loads of free entry to so many attractions....so I need not have pre-purchased my tickets...but at least I had priority entry which was a bonus from not having to wait in long queues. In the courtyard of the palace, these was a wine and music festival...the choir & orchestra was fabulous...then I heeded into the gardens...whew! So many steps....so i found a bench to sit and rest where I met a lovely couple from the UK so I chatted with them awhile. Then after they went, another delightful couple form Canada cam and sat down and we just hit it off....so I ended up spending the next few hours walking with them around the gardens, then the palace and then had gelato and a drink with them as by this time, the rain had started. It was lovely to walk around these places being able to comment and bounce our thoughts off each other. I think this is what I miss most about traveling alone....I am certainly not lonely, but it is so nice to be able to share experiences.
In the evening, I was very brave and took myself off to a trattoria for dinner. It felt a bit strange sitting by myself and I think the waiters thought it a but odd...but hey...why miss out on a pleasant dining experience just because you don't have anyone to share with you!
So today I am sitting writing this post waiting for a hop on hop off bus to take me up to the outskirts of Florence for something a little different...most of the galleries are closed today so it will be good not to feel pressured to overdose on culture!
Am sure I will update again soon...ciao
Oh, and I apologize for any typo's!

No comments:

Post a Comment