Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Colosseum

I am writing this at 4am Saturday Rome time! Due to the fact that I got back from the colosseums so exhausted that I slept for 3 hours so of course, now I am wide awake! I spent most of Friday morning on a tour of the Colosseum...it was incredible!! The tour took us to places that the general public aren't permitted to go due to restoration works taking place. We went into the bowels of the Colosseum as well as the very top....I was there very early as they had strict instruction to be there at least 1/2 an hour as they do not wait....it was fun just sitting in the cool shade of the Colosseum watching the souvenir vendors setting up their carts, the "gladiators" getting ready for the photo opportunities they provide all the gullible tourists....I didn't get sucked in to this! And seeing all the crowds gather at the main entrance...I was so glad I had pre-purchased my ticket. I took so many photos I am going to be such a bore when I get home! I think I enjoyed this better than the Vatican.
Afterwards, in an attempt to work out how to get to a restaurant a work colleague had recommended, I spent ages trying to work out which bus to catch....the buses here are another thing all together, as well as the traffic! I have never seen such wild driving, and yet, have also nor seen one accident...and the way people park is quite amusing...the cars are all generally small, there are lots of the smart cars and they park in the smallest of spaces.
I did eventually find the restaurant and by this time, I was quite famished...had the yummiest selection of salads which you basically just picked out, they put on a plate and weighed up...then you paid. After this I wandered around some of the laneways and shops which were amazing. I then headed back to the apartment where I had my sleep....at 8pm I headed out and bought myself a gelati...lemon of course....there are gelati shops around every corner and they have the most amazing selections....I tried a fig flavour too which was really good. Having bought this, I headed back and took my self to bed...

Well that is it for now....I might go back to sleep for a couple of hours before getting up for todays adventure...am hoping to find my way to the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain....

Love to all...Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment